Having a weed eater is so much easier to keep your grass short. Especially if you have a huge backyard that you need to trim on a regular basis.
But the one thing that we all know is that replacing the string isn’t that easy. Especially if you never have done that before. With this guide, you will get to know everything there is to know about replacing weed eater strings. Making it a bit easier for first-time users.
Know Your Brand Weed Eater
The first thing that you need to know is the brand weed eater that you have. There are different brands and all these brands have different methods. If you don’t know how to string the brand weed eater you have, you need to take the time to research.
Different brands have different types of spools and different string requirements. And, if you are doing it incorrectly, you might damage your weed eater beyond repair.
The String Thickness Is Also Something Important to Consider
There is a huge variety of different string thicknesses that you can purchase. Some weed eater spools can take any thickness. However, some of the spools and weed eaters can’t work with a certain thickness, or they can only use one thickness.
It’s essential to make sure what thickness your trimmer is using before you buy or install just any string. This can have a huge impact on the trimmer and how it will operate after you have replaced the string.
Follow Your Instruction Manual for Exact Guidance on Replacing String
For the best results, you might want to read the instruction manual that comes with the weed eater. This is the best way to know how to replace the string on the weed eater correctly. This is because there are different spools and different stringing methods. However, there is a basic way of replacing any weed eater string. You can follow this if you don’t have the instruction manual anymore.
- The first thing that you need to do is to release the spool and remove it from the weed eater. Different models have different methods for releasing and removing the spool. So, you should make sure that you read the instructions to see how to remove the spool correctly, without breaking or damaging the spool or head in any way.
- Remove any of the strings left on the spool. You can’t just add string to the existing string. Many think that this is possible, to try to save as much string as possible.
- Cut the string to the required length. Some weed eaters require a double piece of string, while others only require one string. Know what your weed eater required Normally, you should just use a meter of string at a time, otherwise, it will break easier when using the weed eater.
- Winding the string up around the spool, making sure that you are rolling it up with the right tension. Leaving some pieces left for cutting. The piece you need to leave shouldn’t be too long, or you might break the string when cutting grass.
- Now, you just need to replace the spool and the head and test the trimmer or weed eater to ensure that the string was inserted correctly. Now, you can start using it again until you need to replace the string again.
Some Tips on How to Replace Weed Eater String That Will Make Things Easier
One thing that you really need to remember is that different models require a different string replacement method. And, if you don’t replace the string correctly, your weed eater or trimmer will not work correctly.
If you need to cut thick and long grass, a thick string is recommended. If you are using a thin string, the grass will be too thick and you will break the string regularly. And, this can get frustrating. Before you go and just buy any thickness, you need to make sure that your trimmer can handle different thickness strings. Some trimmers don’t have a strong enough motor for the thicker string. This can cause your trimmer to get too warm and to burn out.
Read your manual. No matter what. We all know that reading manuals isn’t really something that people are doing, but with a weed eater, you need to read it. There you will get all the information about replacing the string of your weed eater.
The moment that you know how to replace the string on your weed eater, you will see that it isn’t as hard as you might think. The secret is to know what model you have and to read your instruction manual. If you don’t have the instruction manual anymore, you will find one online. This will make replacing the trimmer’s string so much easier and faster.